Introducing Cobalt-iP Analog – Cobalt-iP Analog is a new Cobalt product that takes the very best features of Cobalt Classic-O and Cobalt Digital-iP to create something special that bridges the gap between Digital and Analog point motor control.
Throughout the design process… we have focussed on taking what were already the best DCC-upgradable turnout motors available, the Cobalt Classic and Cobalt Classic- O, and making something really special for those who want just that little more… or those who might prefer to use a separated layout control bus and computer control for the layout, while preserving DCC system usage for the thing it does best… the driving of trains!
While Cobalt-iP may look almost the same on the outside, we have added a totally new and even quieter internal gearing structure, re-designed internal electronics to add actively managed drive speed and at the same time, we’ve added our all new microprocessor-controlled “intelligent power” electronics to make Cobalt-iP perform better than any point motor you have ever seen.
Being aware that not all power supply situations are the same, we have also made drive voltage almost irrelevant and so Cobalt-iP has a huge “safe power range too…It is totally comfortable with a very, very wide range of track or accessory power voltages.
So… apart from intelligent control, smooth operation, insanely long life and the hobby’s best backup and warranty, plus incredibly easy solder-free installation, smooth operation and exceptional usability, what’s new in Cobalt-iP?
- Cobalt-iP is even easier to add to your layout as it is already centered and ready to install. All Cobalt-iP leave the factory pre-centered.
- Whatever voltage or power source you choose, it’s OK! Cobalt-iP has a really wide-ranging safe Power input – Whether you model Z, N, TT, OO/HO, O, G or anything in between, Cobalt iP is always happy. Acceptable power bus voltage range is 7~23v, AC, DC or DCC!
- Cobalt-iP has THREE on-board switches – all “Break before make” so that they only operate if Cobalt-iP has really changed. One switch is directly linked to the power input wires for direct connection of logic systems/computers, panel switches or any accessory that can be allied with Cobalt-iP’s drive power, and there are TWO more totally independent SPDT changeover switches that you can use for frog power, signalling, interlocking or ANY purpose you can imagine.
- Cobalt-iP has super-high switch power handling. Switch 1 is diode controlled and has a limit of 3 amps. Switch 2 and 3 have heavy phosphor bronze changeover contacts that are literally gold plated and they will handle in excess of 5 amps reliably.
- Cobalt-iP has an “Invert throw direction” switch, to make inverted installation super-easy – this lets you synchronise crossovers at the flick of a switch or synchronise the Cobalt-iP’s throw position with either your DCC system or computer diagram where “main or branch” choices need to be matched!
- Cobalt iP can be DCC-controlled via our all new AD-iPfx decoder range (which in turn has an extended feature set and enough power to throw several Cobalt-iP simultaneously)
- Cobalt iP has “Super low power bus loading”… even though it is always interactive and listening for commands - when stopped, overall draw is less than 5mA per Cobalt-iP (That is far less than the current draw of the average red LED) so connecting many of them will not drain your track power!
- Cobalt iP is the easiest motor to install ever, because it has totally Solder-free connections.
Cobalt-iP point motors are available singly and in packs of six or twelve. Every Cobalt-iP is totally complete and we even include the mounting screws so there is nothing else needed.
This time we have even included the very popular double-sided foam mounting pads!
Cobalt-iP is quick and simple to install, incredibly easy to wire, reliable and comes complete with three on-board SPDT switches for panel lights or signalling, computer or system feedback and control of point frogs, signals and interlocking.
Panel lights are easy and you have a wide choice of connection methods... They can be added via on-board switching, inserted into the power leads already connected to cobalt-iP or they can be indirectly powered via the frog power switch using the same wires that power Cobalt, and that makes professional-looking control panels simpler to set up and wire!
Because Cobalt-iP is SO complete, it makes what were previously complex wiring tasks easy!
Cobalt-iP is just as easy to install as Cobalt Classic – and even easier to wire! Just 2 wires are all that is needed for basic operation!
A General overview of Cobalt and Cobalt-iP:
Our new Generation Cobalt point motors are the most reliable and powerful point motors available, but they are exceptionally gentle on your point-work. A moveable fulcrum allows easy adjustment of blade closure pressure and ensures that throw is easy to adjust irrespective of scale, type of point-work or thickness of baseboards.
Cobalt point motors are compatible with all common modelling gauges from Z to G scale, and can be used with 2 or 3 rail systems from any brand, whether the layout itself is AC, DC or DCC… or steam powered for that matter.
You are also able to have both digital and manual control at the same time too… and from late 2014 all of our accessory decoders including ADS2fx, ADS8fx, AD2fx and AD8fx, have a really wide-ranging feature set, so for those who want to have the convenience of “route control” with the added versatility and fun of interacting with a classic type conventional control panel… plus panel lights and other features, you can!
Combining the added switching of Cobalt with our accessory decoders opens the door to any possible combination of lighting, interlocking or layout control!
The Cobalt-iP series was designed from the ground up for variable voltage input, DCC use and computer or other digital interface out of the box… so in any form, it WILL work the way you need it to! vCobalt-iP draws very little current and is designed to be powered by any ADfx accessory decoder or any DC power supply between 7 and 23 volts DC (Cobalt-iP) or 10~23v DCC (Cobalt-iP Digital)
With its very low current draw (static load less than 5 / 1000’ths of an amp or 5mA) you can use direct DCC track power without unduly loading up the track power bus or choose to use any appropriate rated 12v regulated “wall plug” type DC power supply (Cobalt-iP also works superbly with the excellent DCCconcepts PSU2+ power supply)
You will never need to solder wires with Cobalt by the way – all connections are made with top quality spring connectors making initial wiring or later changes fast… and easy.
We also offer a complete range of cobalt accessories for Cobalt-iP – switch packs with panel mount LEDS, foam mounting pads for even quieter operation, tie-bar stickers to disguise the mounting holes and accessory packs that even include the drills needed for installation. For switch packs that will suit Cobalt iP or Cobalt iP Digital… look for the “D” in the part number!
Most importantly, we hold really good stocks of spare parts in case you lose anything – and all Cobalt and Cobalt-iP point motors are guaranteed for life, so as long as you own them, they are under warranty… and in the rare event of a fault, we will, as needed, replace it or repair any problem that may arise… so you can be confident that cobalt will indeed be the last point motors you ever need to buy!